Marionettes presents series of mid-year charity concerts
on June 12, 2010 in
This July, the Marionettes Chorale is working with local community groups and national NGOs to present a mid-year concert series with a difference. Over two weekends 2–11 July, the group will mount a series of fundraising charity concerts in Curepe, Maracas St. Joseph, Chaguanas and Port of Spain.
Next month’s concert will once again feature many of their most popular soloists and Music Festival winners – Jacqueline Johnson, Hermina Charles, Stephan Hernandez, Christian Joel, Tamika Joseph, Sameerah Qudourah, Garfield Washington and Leah Lewis – as well their male choir, the Youth Chorale, and young Johann Chuckaree on steelpan.
As is the Marionettes’ hallmark, the mid-year programme will showcase their broad repertoire, ranging from popular western classical numbers, opera choruses and solos, life-affirming spirituals and gospel, Broadway, calypso and jazz – with movement by Guyanne Wilson and Noble Douglas, and live accompaniment by a small orchestra led by Leslie Clement. There will be lots of surprises and loads of fun.
The six concerts will take place:
- Friday 2 July, 8pm at St. Philip & St. James R.C. Church, Chaguanas
- Saturday 3, 8pm July at Curepe Pentecostal Church
- Sunday 4, 6pm at Flaming Word Ministries, Chaguanas
- Friday 9 July, 8pm at Queen’s Hall for the Living Water Cancer Hospice
- Saturday 10, 8pm at Queen’s Hall for the Rotary Club‘s ‘Gift of Life’ project, in memory of Astra Da Costa
- Sunday 11, 6pm at the University of the Southern Caribbean, Maracas St. Joseph, in conjunction with Women’s Ministries of the South Caribbean Conference
The Chorale has a long history of working with other organizations to raise funds for charitable causes. Each year during their Christmas series, with the support of sponsors bpTT, the group hosts a special concert for the underprivileged, and hosts a gala event to raise funds and awareness for important initiatives. Last Christmas, the Marionettes raised $110,000 for the Heroes Foundation.
Concert tickets are available from the respective fundraising organisations. For more, visit the Chorale’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/marionetteschorale and their official website at www.marionetteschorale.com.